Pages

22 April 2010

One day in YELLOW as a MIXED JUICE WALLAH Patna, Bihar

An Action: I spent one day working side by side with Naresh, owner of this juice cart in Patna and his younger brother Ajay, 12 and helper Sunil, 15. It was parked just off the main road in a shopping complex. From morning to night, I was joyfully peeling open pomegranates, cranking the juice machine, fetching water, stocking fruit on the cart, washing glasses, cleaning up peels, serving customers roadside and accepting their paisa(money). We served mosambi(orange), santara(tangerine), unnar(pomegranate), ungar(grapes) with or without salt. I was a sweet mess at the end of that day but Naresh was hoping I would come to work everyday as his profits spiked a bit that day. It was not in my mind to create anything out of the ordinairy for this juice cart but with this action as with all circumstances we are governed by cause and effect thus it was an inevitable that it was an extraordinairy day for Naresh. I chose juice over pay for my labor.